Hair Restoration and Transplantation
Definition: Hair transplant is a cosmetic procedure that extracts healthy, loss-resistant hair from a donor site (usually the back of the head and behind the ears) and implants it into areas with hair loss.
How does it work?
There are two methods of harvesting hair grafts from your donor site:
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) - performed with a tiny, puncture-like surgical device that harvests one follicular graft unit (containing one to four hairs follicles) at a time. Post extraction, the donor site may present puncture-like scars that are hardly visible.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) aka Strip Harvesting - is performed with a scalpel that removes strips of hair containing tissue from the donor site. After this, the surgeon dissects individual follicular unit grafts.
After harvesting the hair from the donor site, the recipient site (the area with hair loss) is punctured with small micro blades or tiny needles and the grafts are implanted, saving the natural growth pattern.
What are the risks?
- Swelling of the transplanted area;
- Scarring the donor site;
- Inflammation of the transplanted follicles;
- “Shock loss” - suddenly loss of the new transplanted hair;
- Unsatisfying results.
How to prepare for the procedure?
- Perform specific Lab tests for medical evaluation, a common step before any type of surgery;
- The use of anticoagulant and anti-inflammatory medication should be ceased two weeks prior the surgery (to prevent bleeding).
- It is recommended to quit smoking and use of alcohol before the procedure, as it may negatively impact the results;
How long does the procedure take?
Depending on the area with the hair loss, the procedure may take one to two hours. You can go home the same day after the procedure
How to recover after the procedure?
The first three days after the procedure you should not shampoo your hair, and comb it with special care. Don’t forget your follow-up visits with your doctor.
Providers that provide Hair Restoration and Transplantation Service
|Aek Hair Institute||
|Esteworld Medical Group||
|Vithas Xanit International Hospital||
|Hair Transplant Institute - Dr. Alba Reyes||
|Medpark International Hospital||
|Eurozen Hair Transplant||
|Aesthetics MediSpa India||