Chris O’Brien Lifehouse is a non-profit, comprehensive cancer hospital located in Camperdown, Sydney which provides a wide range of services, from screening to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oncologic conditions.
Chris O’Brien Lifehouse has the following affiliations:
- Health Sydney Local Health District
- The University of Sydney
- Sydney Catalyst - Translational Cancer Research Centre of Central Sydney and Regional NSW
At Chris O’Brien Lifehouse there are treated the following types of cancer:
- Bowel and colorectal cancer involves surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
The clinic uses Rapid Access Endoscopy that is a cancer screening and cancer exclusion device that is used for gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
- Breast cancer
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, and myeloma
- Lung and mesothelioma
- Urology, Prostate, Testicular, and bladder cancer
- Melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer
Below you can find some of the procedures that are carried out at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse.
1. Robotic Surgery is a minimally-invasive surgery that uses the da Vinci XI Surgical System. This cutting edge system is used to treat a large variety of tumors that include head and neck, colorectal, gynecological, and prostate cancer. The benefits of robotic surgery include reduced blood loss and pain, shorter recovery period, shorter stay in the hospital, and reduced risk of complications.
2. Plastic and reconstructive surgery is carried out to ensure the restoration of a natural appearance after significant or invasive surgery. In cancer surgery, a team of plastic surgeons and oncological surgeons work together to treat cancer and rebuild the operated area as successfully as possible.
3.Radiation therapy for cancer is an important and efficient procedure used for cancer management. Chris O’Brien Lifehouse is specialized in treating and researching different types of cancers.
During the radiation procedure, high-energy X-rays are used to destroy cancer cells. The therapy removes accurately and precisely cancer cells whilst saving the normal body cells and organs around cancer.
Types of radiation therapy used at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse:
- External beam radiation therapy is the most popular type of radiation therapy, that uses linear accelerators to produce the radiation beam and deliver it to certain regions of the body.
- Internal Radiation Therapy ( Brachytherapy) is a type of radiation therapy for cancer that involves installing radioactive sources inside the patient to reduce the tumor size and kill cancer cells.
4. Medical Oncology at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse involves chemotherapy and intravenous cancer treatment facilities.
5. Supportive Care is provided to ensure the best possible outcomes for the patients’ treatment.
Supportive care involves holistic medical consultation, acupuncture, yoga, physiotherapy, oncology massage, reflexology, mindfulness meditation, music therapy, occupational therapy.
- Cancer Treatment / Oncology
- Alternative Medicine
- Dentistry / Stomatology
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Consultation / Check-up
- Emergency Services
- Dietetics or Dietology
- Hospice and Palliative Medicine